Search this website...

Cerro Vanguardia, Argentina

Located in the province of Santa Cruz, Cerro Vanguardia operates multiple small open pits with high stripping ratios and multiple narrow-vein underground mines that produce gold with silver as a by-product.


AngloGold Ashanti

including contractors
Mineral Resource
Zen rocks
of gold
Gold production
2019: 225Koz
All-in sustaining costs
2019: $859/oz
Contribution to group production


Cerro Vanguardia, in which AngloGold Ashanti has a 92.5% stake, is the Company’s sole operation in Argentina. Fomicruz, a state company, owns the remaining 7.5%. Cerro Vanguardia is a gold-silver operation with multiple open pit and underground mines located within the property, but mined simultaneously.

Cerro Vanguardia operates a single tailings dam. The state road GO-337 passes close to the operation, providing access for logistics. Power for the mine is supplied and purchased in the open market. Three mining methods are used for underground mining: sub-level stoping (bottom-up and top-down), cut and fill, and room and pillar.

A brief history

  • Gold exploration at the site was started in late 1980s by the state owned Fomicruz and Minera Mincorp (JV between Anglo American Argentina Holdings Limited and a local private company Perez Companc).
  • Cerro Vanguardia commenced as an open pit operation in 1998 and this was supplemented in 2010 with the start of shallow underground mining to access high-grade mined material.
  • To complement the already existing gold plant, a heap leaching operation was started in 2012.
  • The mine has been operated by AngloGold Ashanti since 1998.
Map Argentina,locaton of Cerro Vanguardia

ESG statistics 2020

All injury frequency rate

0.61 per million hours worked
(2019: 0.79)

Community investment

(2019: $3,9m)

Payments to government

(2019: $133m)

Reportable environmental incidents

0 (2019: 0)

Water use

(2019: 1,512ML)

Water use efficiency

(2019: 0.52KL/t)

Energy consumption

(2019: 1.86PJ)

Energy use intensity

(2019: 0.64GJ/t)

GHG emissions

(2019: 101kt)

GHG emission intensity

37kg/t CO2e
(2019: 35kg/t CO2e)

Cyanide use

(2019: 995t)

Rehabilitation liabilities

(2019: $77m)

This site use cookies. Visit our Privacy policy to learn more.

Accept cookies